Today we worked, and worked, and worked on the Act I Finale — and it really paid off.
Evelyn worked with the women on the choreography for the beginning section ("Let the Merry Cymbals Sound") while I worked with the men on the closing section (from "Horror, Horror, Horror" onward), and the ever-vigilant principals used this time to review material on their own.
We made a few changes to the existing staging and added some things I’ve been threatening to add for quite a while now (a lift, some man-handling, a few interjections, a twirl and a jete, to name a few). Then we put it all together and ran the whole thing twice in a row — and the difference is absolutely astounding. It is amazing how three hours of concentrated hard work can have such a profound impact!
I should also report that I met with Jennifer, our lighting designer, yesterday to discuss the general feel and specific logistics of the lighting. Then I visited Charlie to deliver some materials and to check in on the progress on the milk truck. Good news on both fronts. Things are coming together right on schedule.